Tuesday, February 22, 2011

baby pea soup

This weekend I was suffering through a horrible illness given to me by some lovely gremlin kindergarten trolls at my school. In a moment of lucidness Saturday morning I realized that 1) Luna was almost out of food and 2) I probably won't want to cook that first week after the new baby comes. So I decided to make a batch of my favorite, easiest baby food recipe: split pea soup.

I love this recipe for so many reasons. Easily the best reason is that it only takes 15 minutes to prep and then I can walk away and play with Luna (or clean, or whatever else). Split peas are also very good for you, and babies love the sweetness of them! They freeze nicely too.

Baby Pea Soup Recipe
Ages 9 months and up

Ingredientes

  • 1 cup dried split peas (green or yellow)
  • 2 1/2 cup water
  • 2 cup veggie stock (or water if you are out)
  • 2 large garlic cloves
  • 1 large carrot
  • 1 large parsnip
  • 1 large pear
Rinse split peas and add to heavy soup pot with water and veggie stock.  Set burner to high.

Mince garlic. Dice carrot, parsnip and pear (I peeled the pears until Luna was 1 years old). Add to pot.

Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer, stirring occasionally. Add bits of liquid if needed. Cook until peas are tender and not grainy, about 2 hours.

Puree to a consistency that is good for your baby (this time I used my new hand held immersion blender- I am IN LOVE. How have I not tried one of these things sooner?). Add liquid (water, stock) if needed.

Voila! Done. Yummy. Makes enough for a big lunch and about 2 ice cube trays of frozen food. 

Add some salt and you can eat it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...