Sunday, February 13, 2011

ranch girl

Just tried making ranch dressing from scratch for the first time!

I remember years ago, when I was 19, going to Yakima, WA with a catering group from my college to cater the bosses nieces quincenera. The boss made ranch from scratch, and I was amazed that you could actually do that- it never occurred to me that I could do something other than buy it in the bottle!

This is the recipe I tried- loosely based on the this recipe from Farmgirl Fare:

1 cup sour cream (I used thick, full fat organic Kalona)
3/4 cup plain yogurt (also Kalona cream top)
1/3 cup mayo
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp dried dill weed
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp sea salt
LOTS and LOTS of fresh ground black pepper

Mix these together, then add:

1 tbsp white vinegar (no balsamic for extremely allergic me!)
3/4 cup buttermilk

Stir. Yum. Kraft has nothing on me!

PS- I got all of the dried spices in the bulk section of the Seward Coop- their prices are sick! Why pay up to $8.00 for a jar of dried organic basil when you can get the same amount, but fresher, for 80 cents in the bulk?!? The Wedge Coop has a great bulk section as well.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...