Saturday, April 16, 2011

if i should have a daughter..

Beautiful expression by spoken word poet Sarah Kay:


*******************
On the funnier side, check out this gem from actress Tina Fey:

the mother’s prayer for its daughter - by tina fey

“First, Lord: No tattoos. May neither the Chinese symbol for truth nor Winnie-the-Pooh holding the FSU logo stain her tender haunches. May she be beautiful but not damaged, for it’s the damage that draws the creepy soccer coach’s eye, not the beauty. When the crystal meth is offered, may she remember the parents who cut her grapes in half, and stick with beer.
Lead her away from acting, but not all the way to finance - something where she can make her own hours but still feel intellectually fulfilled and get outside sometimes and not have to wear high heels. What would that be, Lord? Architecture, midwifery, golf course design? I’m asking you because if I knew, I’d be doing it, dammit.
May she play the drums to the fiery rhythm of her own hearts with the sinewy strength of her own arms, so she need not lie with drummers. Oh Lord, break the Internet forever, that she may be spared the misspelled invective of her peers and the online marketing campaign for “Rape Hostel V: Girls Just Wanna Get Stabbed.”
And when she one day turns on me and calls me a bitch in front of Hollister, give me strength, Lord, to yank her directly into a cab in front of her friends, for I will not have that nonsense. I will not have it.”

*****************
My #1 fears and hopes that I have for my daughters:
Fear #1: that they will become conservative Republicans/ Tea Party bible bangers.
Hope #1: that they will have the courage and personality to do what they are most happy doing.
I seriously hope fear #1 never happens, but knowing karma the way that I do, it is almost 100% certain that one of my children will rebel even harder and louder than I did. And what better way to shock, worry and outrage Dustin and I than falling in with Dick Cheney and Sarah Palin's crowd of crazies?

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...