Monday, March 28, 2011

white bean soup

Feeling a little better today, or at least not so all over the place. Sometimes forcing myself to do things can be helpful. I also feel a little better when my surroundings aren't so scattered and messy. Made myself clean the bathroom yesterday, and do some random picking up and other projects today. Then spent some time cuddling with Luna on the bed, doing some baby massage, reading some stories, and sharing some hugs. Talked to a friend for a while. Hard to feel bad after all of that.

So between doing all of that, and nursing the ever-hungry Dakota, I didn't have time to make dinner. Luckily I had some bean soup in the freezer. I swear, this soup tastes even better after being frozen. How many things can you say that about? I created this recipe as a more adult version of the Campbells bean and bacon soup with hotdogs that my mom used to make when I was a kid. Comfort food.

White Bean Soup
Can of white, northern or navy beans
1 carrot, peeled
2-3 cloves garlic
1 medium/large overripe tomato
Chicken stock
1/2 pack kosher hotdogs
Salt, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes
Lots of fresh ground black pepper




1. Dice carrot and garlic small. Saute in olive oil and butter over low for 2-3 minutes in a heavy pot.

2. Dice tomato small. Add to garlic and carrot- make sure to get all the ripe juices in there! Keep sauteing until carrots are pretty tender.


3. Rinse beans, add. Add 2-3 cups chicken stock, depending on how soup-y you want it.


4. Cut up hot dogs, add to soup. Also add spices to taste (about 1/2 tsp of oregano, basil and red pepper, a dash of salt and lots of black pepper). Bring to a boil.


5. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.



*Make double or triple the recipe and freeze some!
*I use dried beans when I think ahead of time. Just soak the beans over night. Rinse beans, and follow the recipe, changing the cook time to about 1 1/2 hours.


Mmmmm... yummy! Score one for comfort food.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...